Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another Russ Story

First off, I should start by saying that I didnt know Russ really at all but for those of you who loved him so much, I do have one more special little Russ story for you....................

I am a fisherman and recreational gold miner and I was doing some research one day on the internet and found some very helpful commments by Russ about the North Fork American canyon. Since he left his email address on the post, I emailed him a simple inquiry and was pleasantly surprised that he emailed back his phone #.

I called him and we chatted for the better part of an hour. I was very grateful that he gave so much of his precious time to a complete stranger, sending more information to me via email. I was also completely taken with his love for nature and especially the area that includes the North Fork Canyon. Without his help, I am not sure I would have been able to find my way down to the spot I wanted to access. Yesterday, I was rereading an email that he sent a couple of years back and though I would look up his website again, only shocked to find news of his tragic accident.

I only had an hour of time to spend with this warm and generous guy but it was quite special. I feel very sorry for his family and their loss. This has been just another reminder of how precious life is and how important it is to live it to the fullest while we are here. I got the impression that Russ lived an unusually rich life and everyone who knew him should be very grateful that they knew him.

David James, Manhattan Beach CA dsj1776@gmail.com

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you, David.

Karen M.
Russell's sister

http://russelltowle.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It is always helpful to hear of yet another person who recognized his uniqueness. As his Mom, I really appreciate your taking time to add a comment. Again, thanks.