Friday, August 15, 2008

Big Granite Creek & New York Canyon Treks Exemplify Russell's Adventurous Spirit

Hi All,

I hope you have a chance to read about the Big Granite Creek Basin and New York Canyon adventure undertaken by Russell and me two years ago. These were two very memorable, tough outings to the back country of the North Fork wilderness he loved so dearly. I will always cherish these adventures and treasure the memories of my time with him, not only on these rugged overnighters, but on several other occasions we had time together - his love affair with Canyon Creek; camping at Big Granite on the North Fork; harrowing episodes hiking the (named by him) HOUT (High Old Upper Trail) and the inimitable and difficult Green Valley loops. I will always be - as everyone who knew him will be - in touch with his spirit when we're out and about exploring the North Fork American River country where he now eternally resides. Tom McGuire

http://gambolinman.blogspot.com/2006/06/tahoe-national-forest-braving.html

http://gambolinman.blogspot.com/2005/06/north-fork-american-river-intrepid.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Iknew russell when we were both writing columns for the dutch flat paper in the mid 80s.I still hike the great canyon and several weeks ago went down green valley trail to the cabin area of the gold ring claim.While sitting with my hiking buddy a nice size black bear came wandering down on the other side of the river which was still high from this years snowpack.We ate lunch talking about russell and all the trails he reopened and kept open.On our way back we found a pair of loppers in a tree by the orchard.Our minds were blown and I told my friend that russell sent those loppers for us to find.We lopped our way back up the trail and I still use them.We love and miss you man but your in our hearts on the trails.summer2019.